Items to Gather Before Applying
Application Process for Bus Drivers
Application Process for Other Transportation Positions
• H.S. diploma or GED
• Satisfactory criminal background and driving record review. Driving record review includes the entire driving history.
• Not more than one conviction or Prayer for Judgment Continued (PJC) for a moving violation within the past twelve months.
• No conviction of or PJC for Driving While Impaired (DWI) within the past seven years and not more than one DWI conviction or PJC ever.
• No driver's license suspension or revocation for moving violations within the past seven years.
• No conviction of or PJC for reckless driving within the past seven years.
• Not more than 3 moving violation convictions within the past seven years.
• Not more than 2 convictions and/or PJC for moving violations which caused an accident in the last seven years.
• No convictions of speeding to elude arrest ever.
• No conviction of or PJC for speeding in excess of 15 mph over the posted speed limit within the past seven years.
• No convictions of passing a stopped school bus within the past seven years
Complete a 'classified' application and turn it in at the WS/FCS Administrative Center at 475 Corporate Square Drive, Winston-Salem, NC 27105. Your applicaiton will be reviewed by the HR Specialist in charge of Transportation. Qualified applicants will be invited to an orientation session to explain the training process and available positions and benefits.
School Bus drivers must complete a 3-day classroom training course and successfully complete the DMV written tests for Class BCDL, Airbrakes, and S and P endorsements. Candidates must meet DOT physical/medical requirements to hold a CDL. A 3-day roadwork training session will follow, scheduled by DMV. Once completed, candidates are responsible for obtaining the Class BCDL with endorsements, and will be issued a School Bus Certification card.
Yes. School Bus Drivers must meet DOT requirements for maintaining a CDL, including but not limited to, random DOT drug and alcohol testing.