Parkland Magnet High School is an accredited International Baccalaureate World School. The IB Diploma Program takes place during the 11th and 12th grade, with 9th and 10th grade courses providing the foundations necessary for success in the program. The rigorous course of study provides a liberal arts curriculum from a global perspective, university-level work, and required examinations that are developed and marked on an international standard.
IB Diploma requirements
To receive an IB Diploma, candidates must:
- Take one course from each of the six groups; three at Higher Level (240 hours) and three at Standard Level (150 hours)
- Sit for one exam in each course. Exams are scored a scale of 1 to 7. To earn the diploma a student must earn a minimum of 24 to 27 points with no failing conditions; or 28 points or more with only one failing condition. Three bonus points towards the diploma are available from Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Complete an Extended Essay, which is a 3,500 to 4,000 word independent research paper.
- Complete the Theory of Knowledge (TOK) Course and submit a TOK essay.
- Complete 150 Creativity, Action, and Service hours during their 11th and 12th grade years.
IB courses offered at Parkland include:
(HL = Higher Level; SL = Standard Level)
- Group 1: English (HL)
- Group 2: Spanish B (SL), French B (SL), German B (SL), French ab initio (SL), German ab initio (SL),
- Group 3: History of the Americas (HL), Psychology (SL, HL), Philosophy (SL, HL)
- Group 4: Biology (HL, SL), Physics (SL), Chemistry (SL), Environmental Science (SL)
- Group 5: Math Studies (SL), Mathematics (SL, HL)
Group 6: Visual Arts (SL, HL), Theatre Arts (SL, HL), Music (SL, HL), Dance (SL, HL) *group six subjects may also be a second subject from Groups 1-5*
For additional information on the International Baccalaureate Program visit www.ibo.org
Imani McClure's Fashion Show (CAS Project) For Nsumensa Village Project Video
For questions about Parkland Magnet's IB program or how to enroll contact Melissa J Moore at (336) 771-4700 ext 50926 or firstname.lastname@example.org