Parent Advisory Council September 20, 2011Agenda
1. Dr. Martin called the meeting to order, and Aleta Bitting gave a brief welcome.
2. Bud Harrelson, the program manager for school improvement, gave a presentation about the Common Core and Essential Standards. The Common Core standards are national standards in reading and math, and the Essential Standards are statewide standards in all other subjects. They will go into effect in all grades in 2012-13.
3. Darrell Walker, the assistant superintendent of operations, gave a presentation about construction projects and transportation as school opened in August.
4. Betty Weycker, the assistant superintendent of operations, gave a presentation about technology updates as school opened.
5. Dana Wrights, the director of accountability, gave a presentation about 2010-11 test scores and performances.
6. Kenneth Simington, the assistant superintendent of student services, gave a presentation about anti-bullying activities planned for October. It's National Bullying Prevention Month, and the school system has planned activities for every student day to encourage everyone to stand up and step up against bullying.
The next meeting is 6 p.m. on Oct. 18 in Room 219 of the Education Building. For more information, please call the Office of Marketing and Communications at 727-2696.