Graphical Applications: To begin the second quarter of the 2013-2014 school year, my students had an assignment to develop a Java computer program to create an image of their choice. They used basic geometric shapes such as rectangles, ellipses, lines, and polygons to construct these graphical applications.
Year-End Projects: Every year after the AP Exam, my students have a final project to create a game or other application of their choosing.
Curious about the job prospects for Computer Science majors?
"The geeks strike back: despite enduring an industry bubble and the threat of outsourcing, Software Engineer ranks as the Best Job of 2011." Click here to see the 10 Best Jobs of 2011 according to careercast.com"Java/J2EE professionals are tough to recruit with one respondent noting there are just not enough developers on the market and too many openings." Click here to see this article.
|Tardy Policy: Click here to see the Career Center Tardy Policy|
eclipse Tips: Click here for more help with eclipse
|Access to Webportal : You can access the Student Webportal from home. This means that you can upload or download files directly from your H; drive while you are on your home computer. Click here for instructions on accessing the Webportal.|
AP Exam Update : During the 2012-2013 school year, 80% of my AP Computer Science students passed the AP Computer Science A exam. This compares favorably to the 2012-2013 national passing rate of 67%. 63% of my students scored a 4 or 5 on the exam, as compared to the national rate of 53%.
Please take advantage of this website : I constantly update my website to keep it current. I would encourage you to regularly check it to get the most up-to-date lesson plans, homework assignments, and lecture powerpoints. This information is stored under Document Manager. If you have questions and need to contact me, please feel free to send an email or give me a call. Click here for my contact information .
Java Applications: Click here to download applications/games.
Computer Science Careers
There are many possible career opportunities for students majoring in Computer Science in college. Here are a few of the examples:
Homework Submission Process
NEW PROCEDURE FOR TURNING IN HOMEWORK : We are GREEN. To save paper and to also help me grade your work, we are using this procedure for turning in your homework assignments:
1) Name your class with the assigned class name and your first and last name
2) Test your class(es) in eclipse as normal
3) Once you are finished, login to www.schoology.com and click on "Courses", then click "AP Computer Science: All Periods". NOTE: You will have to register in Schoology with our access code before you can see the assignments.
4) Click "Assignments", then choose the homework assignment you have finished.
5) Under the "Dropbox" column, click on the "Submit Assignment" button.
6) On the "Upload" tab, click the "Attach" button and select your program file(s) from your workspace. You only need to attach the files that end in extension .java files (NOT the .class files)
TO VIEW HOMEWORK GRADES AND COMMENTS : After you submit your homework you can check whether it is graded:
1) Click on "Grades".
2) All homework programs will be listed. If there is a grade, it will be shown on this screen. This is also where I will convey to you any comments about the assignment.
Overall Course Syllabus
Want to know more about this class?
If you are considering taking AP Computer Science A as one of your classes next year and you have questions, you may want to click on the following link which is a tri-fold brochure describing the course: Brochure.
Click on this image to find out more about Going Green Initiatives in my class.