School psychology is the specialty area within the profession of psychology which concerns itself with applying the knowledge and research of psychology to improve the learning and education process within schools. The focus is upon the educational development of individual children, their skills and abilities, and the social and emotional factors which affect their learning process in the classroom.
Vision: The Department of Psychological Services provides a system of comprehensive service delivery that enhances the quality of education for all children.
Mission: The Department of Psychological Service is committed to improving the learning and behavior outcomes for all students by providing a broad range of services and support, including problem solving, prevention, intervention, and collaboration with others.
We believe that it is important to:
- emphasize problem-solving, prevention, and intervention
- promote early identification of school difficulties
- promote and help to facilitate a positive school climate
- recognize the effects of overall well-being and mental health on learning and adjustment
- collaborate and consult with families, school system personnel, and community agencies
- deliver services and activities reflective of best practices